Meet Brandie Osborne

She received a second chance of life July 9th & 10th 2012

My name is Brandie Osborne, I’m from Compton, CA. I’m 40 years old. I was diagnosed with Cardiomyopathy and Pulmonary in 1989 at the age of 10. When I turned 18, I transferred to adult care at UCLA from 1998 and currently. That is where I met Dr. David J. Ross a Pulmonary Specialist and Dr. Daniel Cruz a Cardiologist who specializes in Cardiomyopathy. As a young adult, I strived to live a normal life, I even moved into my own apartment. I did everything my doctors told me to do, but both of my diseases began to progress. In search of help and guidance, my mother found a local support group called One Breath Foundation in 2007, at that time is was ran by Gloria Rodriquez. We went to the meetings every month and this is where I found hope.

In 2010 I was presented with the opportunity to be evaluated for a double organ transplant for my heart and lungs at the Stanford Medical Center. This news was very exciting, so I relocated to Stanford, CA with my aunt in hopes for a new start on life.

October 2010 things quickly turned for the worst my kidneys had completely shut down. All of my regular medications were changed. I went from taking water pills called Lasix and Spironolactone , to taking Bumex. This medication was too strong for my body and it stopped my kidneys completely. I was placed on 24/7 dialysis. I was taken off the transplant list and sent home to die. I spent 8 months living in UCLA ICU, this is where I spent my 30th birthday. When I was able to return home, I had a hospital bed, oxygen tanks, trach, feeding tube, weighing 50lbs and doing dialysis 3 times a week. It seemed hopeless, I desperately needed new kidneys to continue my journey and fight against Cardiomyopathy and Pulmonary Hypertension.

On July 8, 2012 while in the hospital, I received a call from Dr. Cruz, he called to give me the good news that a kidney and heart match was found. We cried joyful tears. I posted on Facebook “The Eagle has landed”. July 9, 2012, I received my kidney transplant and on then July 10, 2012 I received my heart transplant. One month later I was back home adjusting to my new normal, doctor appointments and new medications with new side effects. It’s been 7 years, since my Angel came into my life and saved me. I have no idea who he is, but I’m extremely grateful that he saved my life. I still continue my fight with Pulmonary Hypertension, by taking medications like Opsumit and Adcirca. I am still an active member with the One Breath Foundation Support Group. Here I still learn something new about this horrible disease. Right now, there is no talk of a lung transplant but I was told sometime in the future the doctor and I will discuss a single lung transplant.